Seagrave and Co. was founded in 1881 in Detroit, Michigan, by Frederic Seagrave. The company originally built ladders for the orchard industry when local firefighters asked for apparatus that could transport their fire ladders safely. Seagrave produced horse-drawn carts designed to carry ladders and further developed hose wagons. In 1891, the Seagrave Corp. was formed.
In 1963, Seagrave was acquired by the FWD Corp., and corporate headquarters were relocated to Clintonville, Wisconsin. Today, the Seagrave group is a flagship company of ELB Capital Management. Seagrave operates two plants—one in Clintonville and the other in Rock Hill, South Carolina—and also supplies the federal government with firefighting equipment. In addition, Seagrave refurbishes its older fire pumpers and brings them up-to-date to meet current National Fire Protection Assoc. requirements.
Seagrave is currently the longest-running manufacturer of fire pumpers, rescue units, and aerial apparatus. One of the country’s largest fire departments, Fire Dept. of New York (FDNY), uses the Seagrave apparatus line almost exclusively. Seagrave remains a mainstay of many fire departments throughout the country.
Here are some videos showing the legendary Seagrave products in action.